Cooking time – 15 mins
Serves – 2 or 3
Heat factor – 6.5 on 10 (on a Konkan palate)
- 250 grams Prawns – Cleaned and De-veined – you can retain the tail and legs – looks great
- 3 tsps Pepper powder – Freshly ground – (tip – with mortar and pestle if possible)
- 50 gms Ginger + Garlic paste (if you don’t have paste – about 8 cloves of garlic and 1 inch of ginger)
- 4 green chillies
- 1 medium onion – finely chopped
- 1 tsp – Red chilly powder
- 1/2 (half) spoon turmeric powder
- 4 tsps – cooking oil of choice
- 3 spoons – coconut gratings
- 15 curry leaves
- Marinate the prawns with chilly powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt – longer time the better (minimum 30 minutes).
- Smash the green chillies finely with salt and the ginger garlic paste. Ideally use a pestle-mortar again.
- heat oil in a pan and fry onions and curry leaves until onions are reddish brown –
- Add the chilli/ginger/garlic mixture and fry for 2 minutes on a medium flame
- Add prawns now and a little water (about 5-6 spoons)
- Close pan with a lid – keep on a small flame and allow to steam for about 7-10 minutes. Occasionally stir. When the prawns are reddish brown stained- they are ready.
- Add coconut about a minute before you remove from the flame.
- Enjoy as a side-dish with rice and some fish curry!